Thursday, June 14, 2007

Proverbs 13

Focus verse : Prover 13:18
"Poverty and disgrace come to him who ignores instruction, but whoever heeds reproof is honored."

Meaning: The whole of this book hinges on Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowldege; fools despise wisdom and instruction." Provers 13:18 echoes this verse, but also provides an understanding of the consequences attached to the outcome of those who fear the Lord and the fools who reject Him. Similar to the theme throughout most of the Proverbs, these consequences are not just phyiscal or things that will happen in this world, but can also be consequences of a spiritual nature. You may amass a wealth in this life, but you will be spiritually poor for eternity if you have ignored the knowledge and advice of those who walk in the ways of the Lord. However, the Lord admonishes those who diligently seek and listen to the counsel of those who are wise in the law of the Lord.

Application: My age is an especially tough time because I am trying to find my own spiritual identity, yet I also still must rely on the spiritual nurturing my parents provided me. Now, my parents aren't perfect, and they're not right about everything, but not only have do they have far more spiritual maturity than me, but they also have much more life experience. In the short time I have been away from home, ignoring their advice has actually landed me in very disgraceful and poor financial situations. Perhaps now that I am doing my best to listen to their counsel, I will find some honor in my life.

No comments: